Monday, November 5, 2012

It's Getting Moldy in Here.

Today I began the molding process for the Weston Brewery "Royal Lager" tap head.  I thought I'd show the process I'm using to make multiple copies of the piece.  Now that I have the master made (a final version of the tapper head). I can mount it to a base and begin to cover it in silicone rubber. This rubber will ultimately be used to make castings. I drilled a hole through some leftover PVC and drilled a hole into the bottom of the tapper head.  I mounted the tapper onto the pvc.


First, a thin coat of rubber is brushed onto the piece and onto the base.  This will be sure that I capture all the details and don't leave holes.  Too thick of a coat at first might accidentally leave bubbles and miss details.  A couple thin coats to start is the way to go!  Here is the first coat.





Once that dried for about an hour, I put on another thin coat.  I let that dry for about 45 minutes.  Next I mixed a batch with a liquid that makes the rubber thicker...and it can be brushed on more thickly without running.  I want to build up a nice thick coat on the piece. 
I will give this another thick coat in the morning....my goal is to create a rubber mold that should be about 1/2" to 3/4" thick.  Right now it's roughly 1/4".  Tomorrow I'll do one or two more coats, and then prepare something called a "mother-mold".  The mother mold provides strength to the rubber and ensures that the rubber will hold it's shape when I'm casting.

The mother mold will be made of a plastic material and will be in two parts...split down the middle.  It may sound confusing, but it will be much more clear as I post pictures....we'll soon be making multiples! Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment