Saturday, November 3, 2012

Size Matters.

I spoke with the client, and it appears that the tap head really needs to be no more than 2.5" at it's widest point.  So, I went back to the vector and made some changes. To accomodate the smaller size, I widened some pieces, and spread out some things like the dates on the bottom to give the bit enough room to clear the areas around and in them....  I was still able to use a 1/32" bit and take the whole thing down to 2.5" wide by 7" long.  It's about 1 1/8" thick.  I think it's much better smaller!

I'm astounded at the detail on something this small...the Shopbot did an absolutely fantastic job, once I dialed things in and made sure that things would line up when carving both sides.  I used a bit of a jig to make sure it all aligned properly.  The new version is on the left.





Next- I drilled a hold in the bottom, to add a round piece that will hold the brass bottom which connects to the tapper.  Once this approved and primed...I can begin to make the mold.



No comments:

Post a Comment