Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Thinking about the outside of the box.

I had an opportunity to give my first presentation last Friday at the first CarveWright conference.  Users from all over gathered near Houston to talk about this amazing little machine and what it could do.  We shared techniques, improvements, materials, methods and ideas. 
I took along some of my signs and showed the "rocket sign" for the first time in public.  I couldn't have been happier with the response.
Along with that, I had an opportunity to meet a representative from a company called Azek Building Products.
They make a PVC product being used widely in the home construction industry for trim and other applications.
It seems some experiments had been going on with carving into their material.  I talked at length with Kirby (The representative from Azek) and obtained some samples.  There were immediately two things I liked about the product: 1. It was even more dense than 30 lb. HDU 2. At high temperatures, the material can be shaped.  In other words, at high temperature you can bend it and form it.  Clearly that's not an option with HDU!(I've been informed by my friend Dan that you CAN, in fact, bend HDU with heat...I stand corrected).

During the long drive home from Texas, I started thinking about possibilities for this material. First, I needed to carve some and see how it handled.  Beyond that, I began thinking about wild shapes, cool signs and innovative ways to use this material beyond trim or siding for a house....then it hit me.  Imagine a customized home that incorporated special designs in the very siding of the home...grape leaves, trees, celtic knots....family names. It could be carved for wrapping mail box posts and sign posts...I boggled at the thought of it. On the small scale, it would be a reasonably priced way to bring true custom options to home builders...on a big scale, it could represent a total rethinking of how we personalize the homes in which we live.

I raced home and hugged my wife and daughter and then headed for the shop.
How does it carve?  Let me put it this way, once I see how it holds up to paint, this may be the only product I use for my custom signs, and just maybe....to help customize many other people's homes.  Let the dreaming begin!  I carved up a logo I've had handy lately (ha!) and then I really went nuts and cooked it at 350 degrees for 4 minutes on the grill...that's right, I threw it on the barby! Then with oven mits I bent it into a nice curve and let it cool down to rigid in very short order. Now THAT you cannot do with HDU!


8 comments:

  1. Hey Doug...very cool my friend!!!!!
    The possibilities are endless when you can curve it! Hey! that sounds like a promotional tag line!

    I've been testing a product called Multipanel...(it's from Australia but the North American rep. is 3 doors down from the shop!)

    Multipanel is a type of HDU and can be bent! It's used mainly in the marine industry for boat hulls. It's also very dense.

    BUT! and it's a big BUT...it's not consistent in quality.... i.e. BUBBLES! I carved one side of a lollipop and it was looking good and then...boom! a huge bubble, then another and another.

    It would be great for signs for Rec. Centre Swimming Pools or Surf Shops...all waving and curvy.

    This Azek Building Product sounds great...I'm going to have to look into it. Does it come in different thicknesses?

    Thanks!
    Keep Creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! I have samples here ranging in size from 3/4" up to 1 1/2" thick. I understand it may come in even smaller sizes, but I don't know about larger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No bubbles...it seems more dense than even the 30lb. HDU...very fine/smooth finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When we were in California a couple of weeks ago I was talking to the folks at Precision Board (Coastal Enterprises) I asked them if I could heat up some Precision Board and then bend it... and they answered that of course I could. The thicker board will have to be heat soaked for a while to allow the heat to go through it thoroughly as it does not conduct heat well. But it can be bent with heat.

    The last concept I posted on my blog will feature this technique for the scroll that wraps around it. I'll be trying it in the next while... Stay tuned...

    -dan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Further investigation reveals that this is in fact PVC or some form of it. On their website they indicate it does hold acrylic paint well but to stay away from dark colors (that do not contain a reflective element). I would suspect this is because PVC expands a lot when it is subject to heat. It also tends to soften some too.

    This material certain has potential for some projects but I'm not about to turn from my favorite... Precision Board. I just got my hands on a sample piece of 60 lb material... and it is unbelievable.

    -dan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally understand, Dan...and I certainly didn't know HDU could be heated and bent! I continue to be reminded that making assumptions never pans out...Very interesting.
    As for paint-I'm very curious to see how it handles paint. My concern was heat buildup under dark colors causing problems...much more to test and experiment with- but I agree that the potential for some projects is certainly there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just spoke with a representative who indicates that the issue with dark colors was certainly one that was there, but there are now products (100% acrylic latex)designed for this product (and other vinyl like products) that are perfectly ok to use in dark colors. I have a feeling that only testing will really show what can and can't be done....I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete