Friday, May 6, 2011

Potential

I wanted to take a moment before I start posting pictures of jet pack parts and talk about potential.  About 14 years ago, a friend of my soon-to-be in-laws was talking with me about how computers were changing libraries and he happened to mention that they would soon be getting rid of the card catalog at the one where he worked.  I had visions of beautiful oak or cherry wood and started thinking about a rich, dark library or study with one of these housing a collection of tid-bits collected during adventures.  I told him that I'd love to have one of those someday...
Someday came at our wedding. I opened a box from him that revealed a single drawer with a note that said 59 others would soon follow. Eventually, the huge card catalog arrived.  It didn't look at all like my vision, and certainly not like the one I described to Ashley, my wife.  It was heavily tinted with an opaque stain that made it look industrial and it was an awful shade of brown.

The thing was, I could see the card catalog I wanted there.  This thing had POTENTIAL.  I knew that with the right skills, the right colors and some effort- it could match the picture I had in my mind.  For the next 13 or so years we hauled it from apartment to home and then to another home..and another.  It became a part of my workshop and I'd look at it from time to time and imagine that card catalog I knew it could be. 
So just a while back I finally made a decision. It was time to bring my vision to life or finally say good-bye.  I looked at the 60 drawers and envisioned all the work it would take to get it to my vision and for just a moment I hesitated. So much work...
Then I remembered all the times I had thought about seeing it done...and how hard it had been to move to our various homes. How much effort I'd put into trusting in the potential this thing had.  I began work immediately. You see, once you realize that the potential isn't going to cause spontaneous transformation and that in order for it to be realized you have to MAKE it your vision...you haven't a moment to spare.  Maybe you have something like this? A thing with POTENTIAL... I bet you do.  Trust in it. Bring it to fruition. You'll be glad you did.

2 comments:

  1. Well said Doug.
    And a tip of the hat to Ashley for agreeing to let you keep it around for so long! ;) LOL
    I also like how your rocket is poking out from behind the finished card catalog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, is that rocket back there? ;)

    ReplyDelete