Saturday, November 10, 2012

Mistakes lead to success

I find that, as people, we enjoy talking about our successes in life, but generally try to avoid the mistakes and failures.  In truth, the failures and mistakes teach so much more than the success.  Part of learning and trying new things is stumbling before we can run. 

I thought I'd share a recent failure, and talk about learning from it, and turning it into success.  The truth, though, is that success isn't guaranteed. 

I have been working on a tapper head for client.  It is the handle they use in a pub to draw the beer from the keg.  I worked with the client to create a design based on a very old logo from the brewery and I carved a sample.  The first one was extremely large and out of scale.  On the second try, I reduced the scale significantly and became astounded at how well the cnc cut the very small detail.  This new one became the master which I coated in rubber and made a mold.  Then, I covered the mold in a plastic support mold called a "mother-mold" to hold the rubber in place.

The bad news?  The bad news was two-fold.  1. some of the detail was so small, that the rubber became very thin and very deep...not a good combination. 2. I believe I didn't wait long enough between coats of rubber to build up the mold. On one side of the mold, the rubber had not fully cured at the point I tried to open it....resulting in damaged detail and gooey rubber still not dry.  It was a disappointment.

I find, though, that dwelling too long on the failure leads to frustration and fear...fear of messing up again.  So I quickly began to run through the issues and look for solutions.

1.  I took the opportunity to  modify the vectored files (the design) and I thickened areas where I felt it was too thin.
2. I decided that the depth had also been a little much. I reduced the depth the material would be carved by half.
3. The material....I had spent more time than I liked cleaning up the carving before. It was carved in HDU foam...an 18lb variety that is soft and easy to carve.  Unfortunately, it had lots of little bits to clean up.  I decided to change to a more dense foam - 30lb.  I hoped it would be easier to clean and a bit stronger.
4. I told myself that letting the rubber cure was critical.  I would wait at least 2 hours between coats to ensure each layer got a chance to cure fully before I added the next.

Each of those things takes time.  It's easy to allow yourself some time on the first try...it becomes harder when you've encountered problems or a failed attempt.  I determined that whatever time it took to get it right on the next try was worth it.

The carving went quickly, and it was clear from the start that a heavier HDU is extremely better for small work.  It was crisp, and the cleanup was essentially non-existent.  I blew it off with the air-compressor and it was done.  Next, I carefully gave it a couple coats of spray primer.  On something this size, the heavier primer I brush on is a bit thick.  Once the primer was dry, I then put on a final coat by brush, adding just a bit of texture.

Next, I began to coat the piece in rubber....4 layers, with 2 or more hours between coats (after the second coat, it dried overnight. I really wanted those initial coats to be fully cured).  Today, I put on the mother mold paste which is curing even now into a plastic shell that will support the mold.

In the meantime, I took a test carve I'd made in the lighter foam and decided to do a paint job to show the client.  We can finalize the paint now, so that when I begin casting multiple tappers, I'll already have a paint strategy in place....

Tomorrow, I'll once again open up the molds and see if I have a success or a failure- either way, the lessons have been valuable.





Stay tuned!




No comments:

Post a Comment