Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Happy Accidents

One of the things that's great about learning something yourself is that you sometimes have what Bob Ross called "happy accidents".  You also sometimes have not-so-happy accidents.  In the case of the tapper heads, I had the happy kind.  I had used an old trick to measure how much resin to mix...I poured water into the mold and filled it...then poured out the water into a container.  The amount of water in the container represented the exact amount of resin to mix up for the cast.

What I didn't do right was wait for any remaining water in the rubber mold to fully dry.  I mixed up my batch of resin in excitement and poured it in...the resulting cast was not what I planned.  It came out with some pitting and looked kind of "eroded".  I wasn't happy.  The next cast turned out great, so it was a learning lesson....but I kept looking at the bad cast yesterday.  It looked like the thing was rusted....

As many of you know I like rust.  I like the look.  So I painted up the cast with a rust finish just to see how it looked.  Is it right for the client? I doubt it..although I like the concept that it looks like it was dug up from the old Brewery...but I turned an accident into a trick I can use down the road if I want something to not only look rusty...but to look eroded!



Happy Accidents..... let's share a little music about the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment