Thursday, February 2, 2012

Lithopane box with LED lighting!

I've been working on a "memory box" for a friend's sister.  The box is a place for her to store pictures and other items from her father.  My friend brought some wood (cherry) that he asked me to use.  As we talked about ideas for the box, I asked him if he'd seen any of the lithopanes that can be carved from photographs.  We decided that it would be great to incorporate a photo of his sister with their father on the lid.  I thought, at first, about using an LED puck light, but then had another idea....

First, a square was carved into the back of the lid to hold the lithopane. The a circle was carved from the other direction to fit the photo he selected.


He asked that a portion of a favorite poem be included on the lid, and some minor changes to the wording for the inside.  The text was then carved into the front.
The lithopane was carved next.  This involves converting the photo into a greyscale, and setting up a carve that goes only about 1/8" into the material. This material is Corian (the material they sometimes use to make counter tops.  Without lighting, it is just a textured piece of material...
The lithopane is set into the square recess carved into the back, and an additional 1/4" piece of material with a hole prepared in the middle is added. This acts as a locater for the sides of the box, and as a place to attach the LED lights.
Now the LED light strip is attached inside the perimeter of the circle. I've cut a notch into the wood so that the cord can be directed out the back of the lid. I'll add a hole to the sides of the box lid to accomodate the cord.
A quick test of the light to make sure it's working...
This is the top of the lid.  It's difficult to light this so that the lithopane and the box lid can both be seen, but this conveys the idea.
Now on to the sides and assembly!  I'll stain the box before I finally attach the LED and lithopane.  I'll also give access through the rear of the lid should the light ever need to be replaced!

I then made an inner tray to hold pictures and other important items...and carved the remainder of the modified lyrics for the inside lid.  Here it is all finished...delivered today.  I was very honored to have been asked to make something like this, and hope it will remain a special item for the family.
I think we pass a little of ourselves on when we make things, and I thought about the relationship I have with my own daughter as I worked on this.  I love my family and I love what I'm doing.  I have a feeling I have that in common with Mr. Howard.
It's clear to me that with or without this box, the memories will last a lifetime.  My very best wishes go out to the entire family.




No comments:

Post a Comment