Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Daisies in winter!

Yesterday I finished painting a sign for a local Florist & Boutique.  The owner, Kellie, has been a fantastic client!  She had an existing bracket for a sign, and we discussed some ideas and finally arrived at this design.  It was important that my sculpted daisies represent "Gerbera Daisies" as the name of the store is Gerber's Daisy (and it's her last name).  I picked 3 styles from what appear to be dozens of varieties and sculpted them in Magic Sculpt.  I had to bear in mind that the bracket was only designed to hold a certain amount of weight and the sign needed to be 2-sided.
The challenge with my current cnc machine is that for a project like this, the sign had to be sub-divided into 6 pieces (3 on each side) and joined once they were carved.  I spent a great deal of time doing my very best to hide the join lines and make it look like one large piece.  I dream of the day when I'll be able to do a sign like this as 2 pieces...or even 1!
Modern Master's metallic paints and Nova acrylic did a great job and I can't wait to hang it Thursday!


No comments:

Post a Comment