Friday, January 20, 2012

Mural mural on the wall...

The last mural for my daughter's "theme room" is the crest for Gryffindor.
We decided on a red wall as a background, and I used the projector to transfer the design
of the crest.  I layed down base coats (it takes a few to cover that red!) and started blocking in color.
Every painter seems to have a preferred way to build up paint, and I've been experimenting with many of them.  It's exciting to see what different results come from different techniques. 
I knew from the beginning that I'd be using some metallic colors to make this one "pop" and it took a few coats for the lion.  I saved the outline and "dark" color for last.  This allowed me to quickly paint the colors at first, saving detail work for the end. 
My daughter should be home in a little while and I think she'll be pleased.  Completing this wall means it's time to clean up the paint and tools and to finish cleaning so that we can move the furniture into the room and call it done.  I'm not sure we'll see her for a few days once it's complete.


No comments:

Post a Comment