Monday, May 23, 2011

Full Steam Ahead...

The discovery of this PVC product couldn't have come at a better time.  I had been mulling over some of the ways to build the steam powered escape packs for a home theater project I'm working on, and now I have my plan in place.
With that, the fun begins!
I decided to use PVC pipe for the body of the pack, but will require a rounded end on one side.  I quickly made one in Google Sketchup and then exported an .stl file that I could bring into CarveWright's .stl importer.   It only took 3 slices to make up my rounded end.
Next, I decided to use CarveWright's new 3/16" round-over bit to do this raster carve.  In a short 20 minutes, I had my pieces carved quickly and cleanly out of a sheet of 3/4" pvc.
Then it was time to try out the Azek glue.  It reminded me very much of other pvc glue that I've used for plumbing fixtures.  I had all three pieces attached to one another and then to my piece of pvc pipe in a jiffy.  One upside is that unlike HDU (where I have to wait a significant time to let the glue-up cure) this was ready to handle in under 10 minutes.  The manufacturer indicates that a full 24 hours are needed for a full cure, but it's ready to handle and work with in those few minutes.
What are those leather pouches you may be asking? Yes...good question. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment