Wednesday, May 25, 2011

I've Got To Handle It To Ya...

Inspiration comes to me all the time from lots of different places.  When I start a new project, I try to pull in as much as I can from a variety of sources and let it simmer a bit (but not too long).  As I started on this steam powered jet pack, I did much more than type "steampunk jetpack" into the Google search engine. No, I looked at many other pieces of reference.  One place is the work of a relatively new and talented friend named Catharine Cloud Kennedy.  Her engraving work is amazing and just continues to get even better.  While I've done absolutely no engraving in my life, I thought it would be fun to include ends on my steampack handles that looked as if they were engraved metal.  So, time for some Magic Sculpt.

I have more work to do on them and some additional cleanup and detail to sculpt in, but I think it will give the look I'm after once painted.
The process of building an object, sometimes reveals the need for minor modifications to the original design. This steam pack (jetpack) is no different.  As I began to assemble the rough form upon which other carved pieces and sculpting and objects will be placed, I decided to change the location of the control arms.  They were at the top in the original design, but as I played with the form and looked at it in real life, I liked them mounted on bottom better. So- that's the way it shall be!
Lastly, I had a fun delivery today! My first full 4' x 8' sheets of Azek have arrived. It comes in a variety of sizes, and I intend to put several of them to use on this project.  Stay tuned to see more carvings heat up as things begin to take shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment