Sunday, April 10, 2011

What a blast...

I thought I'd start off today by sharing one of the things I've been playing with....it's called "Amazing Mold Putty".  It's a two part product that you mix together and you can "smoosh" it over a texture/shape/object you like and make your own custom mold.  Now, in many cases, I'd rather sculpt my own details- but every so often I see something and think "A-ha! I know the center of that coat hook would make a cool space-ship hatch!" or "Hey! That knob would be a pretty neat spaceship viewing portal!"  This product is fun because it only takes about 15 minutes for the putty to solidify enough to make a mold.  After that, I put in a little baby powder, and mix up a batch of magic sculpt.  I let it sit for about an hour to harden just a bit and then I pull my new piece out.  In the case of the rocket ship, I then gently formed the piece onto the hull and added all my own other details.  Eventually, I'll build a nice little collection of textures and shapes that I can use.



Today I spent most of the day enjoying the weather with my daughter and doing battle with bubbles.  I don't know who won- I suppose both of us.  Eventually she moved on to other adventures with a friend, and I snuck into the shop to sculpt a moon.

I decided to work on the bottom first, so that I could get enough done to turn it over and work on the rest of it "right side up".  Once I got what I felt was enough done, I put it back on the pedestal and decided to "rough in" my spaceship exhaust.  To save a little Magic Sculpt, I decided to use the insulation "spray foam" you can get at the local hardware store.  I carefully and strategically applied it to make up the "smoke" portion of my spaceship launch. The remainder of the steel bar will be coated with magic sculpt and utimately painted to look like hot exhaust.  Once this all dries, I can complete the moon and sculpt over the foam smoke.  I'm in the home stretch on the fabrication for this project and I've been thinking real hard about the paint.  What do you think about a red moon?

4 comments:

  1. That is awesome Doug, I use the two part mold putty also, I used it to make the acorns and walnuts on my yogi bear motorcycle

    http://jonpetermanartistry.blogspot.com/2010/05/yogis-first-ride.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those motorcycles are great, Jon! I'm still working through your journal...looks like you've caught the same bug I have. Keep creating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again Doug...fantastic! Funny you should use the spray foam for the smoke...I used some of that years ago to fill some holes in my garage wall...the way it smooshed out I thought, hey, that looks like smoke or bubbles or a sea plant of some sort, I'll have to use it on a model sometime.
    The moon is crater-ific! Great detail it looks better than the real thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Ryan! I can't wait to show you the finished "smoke". I've been playing with a small pasta roller not so much to mix the Magic Sculpt, but to get it thin. It allowed me to really quickly make sections to coat the moon and then to make really, really thin layers to coat the foam smoke and keep the details from the foam.

    ReplyDelete