Saturday, April 9, 2011

Add 1 pound of Magic...

I completed all the panels for the pedestal and they have now been trimmed and attached to the base.  My "rocket-logo" is on 3 sides, while each of the others has a different quote.  These will get a coat of primer to add additional texture and I'll add some rivets on the outer edge of each frame by hand.  I designed these with the size of the CarveWright in mind. The bottoms are  just under 14" wide and they are about 36" tall.  My goal with machines (heck, everything!) is to push it to the limits to take advantage of what it can do and then use the limitations as an opportunity to try to be creative.






I also got to spend an hour or so sculpting the rocketship.  I'm trying to combine some of the retro feel with this rocket and a little steampunk thrown in for fun.  The model I carved is a fantastic base for sculpting with Magic Sculpt epoxy resin.  It didn't take that much for this thing to start really looking like something.  I worked my way from the top to the bottom, mixing batches of resin as needed.

Close inspection of the first photo may reveal a tribute to a good friend.  This rocket has a bit more work, which I can easily wrap up tomorrow and then I finally get to start on that moon! I can't wait. 



3 comments:

  1. Love the details Doug! Keep it up!

    You better keep your running shoes handy for you are in for the race of your life! :)

    -dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. A race is just the thing my large body needs! I knew you'd figure out all those semi-straight lines on that rocket were a friendly challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Smokin' Doodles Doug...where do I start. It's looking great! The detail is fantastic!
    I really like how you've put in the subtle gears and moon behind the quote mixed with texture...nicely done.

    ReplyDelete