Tuesday, April 5, 2011

We are go for liftoff...

My good friend Dan suggested it was time to get a journal up and running to showcase how I'm going about the business of making theme signs and environments.  I agree.

The first project I'll be talking about is a display item for my business. Actually, it's serving two purposes. 1. A sample I can use to show my capabilities 2. An explanatory piece I'll be using to show some of my techniques at an upcoming CarveWright conference.

For those of you who don't know, CarveWright is a fantastic entry level CNC machine that has opened my eyes and allowed me to begin to express my creativity and bring my crazy and fun ideas to reality.  Someday I'll own a larger CNC machine and I'm already sketching and dreaming about what I'll do with one- but in the meantime, I hope you'll enjoy what I'm doing with this versatile little workhorse.

One of the cool pieces of software that you can add to your CarveWright package is the ability to import 3D objects.  You can then prepare them for carving on the machine, and once carved assemble them into the object you imported.  You can take this:





 It gets sliced into pieces the machine can carve, then re-assembled into the object at whatever scale I like.







This is just the beginning...this rocket (which is about 22" long) will be launching from a moon, which will rest upon a large 3' high pedestal...one panel carved, 5 more to go!

5 comments:

  1. AWESOME Doug! I love to see your projects and you can count on me watching and learning all the way through!

    To the moon!

    -dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Doug on the new Blog. I'll have to add you to my daily readings! :) Can't wait to see this piece finished.
    Is that globe glass or plastic?
    Did you design the rocket in Google SketchUp or was this a pre-built 3D model?

    To infinity and beyond!

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Dan!
    Ryan, that globe is plastic...I've had it kicking around with me for about 12 years waiting for the right project. This one just made sense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doug...is the pink foam insulation board harder than the blue or the same?
    You seem to get really nice texture and crisp edges with the pink stuff. Your logo looks great on the side of the stand. What type of bits do you cut the foam with?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ryan,
    Generally, I would say I have found no difference between the blue and pink- but when I can I try to use the higher density pink (it only comes in the 2" thick sheets here). It's not that much more dense, but enough to hold onto more detail.
    The secret to coating the foam is a primer coat of good old fsc-88 wb (the water based version of the primer). I then use an epoxy coating to give it strength. I really prefer HDU- but the cost of the foam is so much lower, that it allows me to experiment and learn much more affordably. As for bits- they are kind of specific to the CarveWright. I'm using a 1/16" tapered ballnose bit here. It has a 5 degree taper, so I have to remember that when designing.

    ReplyDelete