Monday, April 18, 2011

Sometimes the Planets Align...

I'm finally putting paint on this project! First, though, I had a few last details to finish- including a minor change I decided to make to the pedestal.  As I installed the rods between the panels, I thought they needed something on top.  I played around with a couple ideas and decided that I had so much fun sculpting a moon that I'd do several little planets.




Each one has a different texture and will be painted in a unique color. 
Next, I put some additional "victorian/steampunk" details on the rocket, just to put it over the top.
This was another place where I used a home-made mold.  I found a great piece left over from a
home-made arcade I built (www.frankencade.blogspot.com) and knew that it's arched shape would
translate into wrapping around the base of the rocket legs really well. I was right.


Now, the last pieces to attach to the pedestal are the planets and a decorative element that will go under each of the "quote" panels.  These got a base coat of copper, and will get much more in terms of glazing and detailing.
Then, it was finally time to start painting the rocket.  I've been looking forward to this since the day CarveWright released the 3d model import software. I knew from the first day I wanted to build a rocket...and I had one like this in mind.  The first layers of paint are always confusing for some because
it looks nothing like it will in the end.  This base coat is an under layer for lots of other colors to come.
Updates will speed up now and I sprint to the end of this totally fun project.


2 comments:

  1. WOW! It's coming along nicely Doug.
    I didn't quite "get" the piece at the bottom of rockets until I saw the shot of the entire piece...love it! Those are some serious rockets!
    The detail is amazing!

    Keep it on warp speed Mr. Doug!

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ryan...It's coming along quickly now. I have some of the early glaze coats on and it seems like each one breathes a little more life into it. It's hard not to get excited as I see it come together and surpass what I had in mind when I started.

    ReplyDelete