Saturday, April 23, 2011

Launch!

Finishing a project like this is kind of like Christmas..only in reverse.  You see, I've always enjoyed ripping the layers of paper off of presents to find out what was beneath.  But with projects like this, it's the layers of paint that I'm adding that reveal what it's finally going to look like. With each new layer I get a little more of the picture and a little more excited.
I finished the project on Thursday- but with the the gray skies and rain, I just couldn't bring myself to take any pictures. I really thought this thing needed to be outside to be appreciated.
Finally..today a bit of good luck and the sun is up and it's awesome outside.
I hope you enjoy the pictures, although it's really something to see in person!









Here's another pic of the moon...this one taken inside. The sun seemed to blow out some of the color.


5 comments:

  1. I just spent a week at the Disneyland Resort in California soaking up all the creativity displayed there. I come away full to the brim with ideas and inspiration. Then, as I sit in the airport, I hook up with this site and see the work my good friend Doug has done and my brain is about to explode. I feel like Doug's rocket... and the only cure is to blast off creatively in similar fashion.

    This is a fabulous piece Doug, I wish I could see it in person. I just know there are tons of details that don't show up in the photos. It is certainly your best piece yet... imagine where this is leading...

    I'm buckled into my chair for a very exciting ride! UKeep sharing and inspiring others!

    GO Doug GO!

    -dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absalutely awsome Doug! The detail, colours and glazing...WOW! I'd love to see this in person.

    I've clicked on each photo a couple of times already and see something new each time.

    What's the overall height of the piece?

    Keep it up Doug! :)

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's pretty cool Doug. I too would like to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It stands just over 7 feet, Ryan! I'll have to take a photo with me next to it for scale. I think I'm going to try to take photos with a little less sun, actually...some of the color gets blown out (the moon and smoke). I also realized I have a couple (3) small decorative pieces still to attach on the bottom of the pedestal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Wow", is the first thing that came to mind when I saw this. Great work Doug. I think this definitely takes you to a new level. Absolutely AWESOME piece. Can't wait to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete