Friday, June 28, 2013

Rhino What You Mean.

I decided that before I began to paint the Rhino tool sign, I'd check out the website. I wanted to find some inspiration for the paint.

Immediately, there were some things I liked very much.  I thought the yellow/orange fade on the square was great...but one of the things I loved was the yellow/black border.  I like the fact that it's not shiny new. It has some wear on it and it makes it look that much more tough.  So it was time to get some paint on it!

The method for making the border look aged was fun and easy.  First the whole sign was primed. Next, I masked the stripes and painted a wash of silver...then washes of yellow and black.  Once those were dry, I stippled latex rubber over the surfaces....when it was dry I finally painted another coat of yellow and black with much stronger color.  When it was all dry- the fun part was rubbing off all the latex rubber, revealing the slightly dark under color versions....and instant age!



We're running out of sun, so tomorrow I'll try to get some better shots of it from a better angle...


No comments:

Post a Comment