Saturday, June 29, 2013

Getting Down To It

Now that Dan has had sufficient time to start his mechanical fish project, I decided to get some work completed on mine.  I began by taking a sketch I completed for the border and using it to build my files in Vectric Aspire.   The sketch was fairly loose, but I knew in my mind what I was trying to do.

From the beginning I had a concept that includes something very special.  The sketches were just a launch pad.  Dan and I wrestled a bit over my sketchbook at a camp...I was determined not to let him see my notes beside the sketches....it would have given away my surprise.  At least now I can show them without spilling the beans by editng off the notes!

So here is my first version in Vectric Aspire:
It will have a secondary piece in back that will be dished. I wasn't completely happy with the result.  I showed it to my friend John Ingles and he asked if the middle was domed.  He hit the nail on the head. I opted to dome the middle, and lower the outer ring.  In Vectric Aspire I simply added a dome shape to the middle, and lowered the height of the outer ring.






That's more like it!  Now I'll begin work on the back pieces that will hold the mechanical beast.
Then it's time to build the mechanical beast:








No comments:

Post a Comment