Monday, May 27, 2013

Sweep It Under The Rocket...

The rocket for my trailer is part of a learning project for me.  Instead of modeling the rocket as
a 3D piece in a 3D application, I'm building the file based on an existing sculpted piece I created.  Thr original was a simple 3D model that I used as a foundation for more detailed sculpted pieces out of Magic Sculpt epoxy.  I'm trying to turn that into a reproduction piece for the trailer that I can mostly carve in HDU.

This next step involves creating some rocket engine/legs. Why?  The import of the 3D model has left the legs far too flat.  I could do things like pull the legs off of the 3D model and import them seperately, but I think all of this can be built in Vectric Aspire 4.0 and that's the goal....

So, I've created 2 vectored lines to represent the shape of the leg. 
Numbers 1 and 2 represent the first two vector lines.  The vector labled number 3 represents a cross section shape. Imagine the shape being pulled along the two vector rails to create a shape.  In this case, as vectors 1 and 2 arc toward each other, the half round shape will begin to taper.  I could set it not to do that, but it's exactly what I want.  Here is the result applied to the left leg.

 
Here it is duplicated and placed on the right leg as well.

As I build each shape and add it to the piece, the rocket will become more and more like the sculpted piece I'm copying.  I'll add some of the texture through paint, once it's carved.  Next, I'll build up the body and then begin to add wood "planking".

No comments:

Post a Comment