Friday, November 2, 2012

Itty Bitty Router Bitty

Sometimes, I go through ups and downs in my shop...but maybe not the kind you're thinking.
I just completed some signs that were about 5 feet tall...and right before that a mural that was over 18' in diameter.
Today? I'm carving 2 sides of a prototype for a beer tap handle....it's about 10 inches long.

Here is the general design...






A few changes occured between design and carve. 1. We changed "Brewing Co." to "Lager" so that this design could be used with other flavors...  2. I had to thicken up some of the lines so that they'd carve well and hold up the detail.  It's exciting to play with things like this.

In order to hold the detail at this very small size- I am using a much much smaller bit than normal.  This little bit only has a 1/32" tip.  It would be easy to break, but I have it running a little slower than normal and it's cutting HDU which is easy to cut.




The carving is just under 1/8" deep...and I took a chance and am carving it in one pass. It seems to be doing just fine.


One it is complete, I'll do the other side.  The bump out on the left, will be the backing for the "R" on the other side.  Once this is approved,  I'll clean it up a bit, prime it..and then make a mold so that I can cast multiples!  I'll share the process here, so stay tuned!

Here is the first side completed...



No comments:

Post a Comment