Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Royal Flush

Some projects are fun because of the challenge.  This is definitely one of those!
While I was visiting Weston Brewery and working on the mural, Corey showed me an original sign that had been hanging on the wall for a long, long time.  Much of it was deteriorated, and the exact lines were pretty fuzzy in many locations.  He asked if it was possible to re-create the logo.  I took some photos and told him I'd give it a try.

I have several tweeks to do adjust the shapes to be more smooth...I followed the original as much as possible, but the vectored shapes need to be adjusted by eye to flow more smoothly, and I certainly can't claim I've interpreted each shape correctly, but I did what I thought was a decent job of recreating the piece.  Because this sign was hand-painted long ago, I also know that if he asks for me to paint a new one, I'll learn more about the shapes while I paint.  Sometimes the best way to figure out something like this is to recreate it like it was made originally.  I have no doubt that the shape and flow of a brush my enlighten me as to how some of the shapes were made originally.   I took some liberties with the lettering as well...

Here is a copy of the original from a photo, and my rebuild.


I'm a fan of keeping old designs like this alive for the future.  The original sign may not make it another 80 years, after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment