Tuesday, August 21, 2012

That's about the size of it

I seem to design in one of two ways....sometimes the total picture of what a project is going to look like comes in a burst.  I know all the major pieces and what they'll look like before I've even put a sketch down. Details may change a bit as it develops, but the bones are there from the beginning. Other times, I enjoy doing a kind of 'freeform' design.  I begin to put pieces together and see what fits and what doesn't.  I enjoy both methods, but it's the 'freeform' style that really seems to yield some of the most fun for me.  I let the design develop as I work...and let it go where my imagination takes me and I add and subtract elements until I know it's right...then I assemble it permanently once I have it mocked up.  It's not nearly as efficient as the other method, but I sometimes surprise myself and enjoy the sense of 'finding' the piece as I work.  I've been asked if I'm ever worried I won't like the result or get lost in options.  I approach it like a puzzle.  A piece only belongs in a certain location.  Some pieces have less importance, but eventually it will become clear where or IF the piece belongs.  As for results...I'm often pleased, but never satisfied.  The hunger for improvement makes satisfaction only temporary at best, but I'm ok with that.

So with that in mind, I began to play around with some ideas for this sample 'beer sign'.  I've looked at work by Joe Diaz (just look up 'Steampunk Stella' and be amazed) and others and just let it settle for a few days.  I've decided I want a guy in a bowler hat flying his jet pack and holding a brew.  My god, man...what good's flying if you can't enjoy a beverage while you do it? The beer is a nod to my friend Mike Meyer and his amazing beer painting practice from a couple weeks ago.

This time I decided to do some doodle sketching of the guy and play with the scale. I have to decide how 'dimensional' he'll be and how big.  I want the flames from the jet pack to come off the edge of the sign, I know that.  So I sketch up my fellow...(Thank you Stan Lee for your book on how to draw super heroes the Marvel Way)....print him out at a couple sizes and try him on for size...

I've decided I want him even larger.  Also, he'll come off the sign even more...the beauty about mocking it up this way is that I still have the freedom to experiment and try whatever comes to mind.  Nothing's written in stone at this point.  I'm also starting to think this sign would be great as a hanging sign...and wouldn't it be cool if the bracket holding it was a steam powered airship?


No comments:

Post a Comment