Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Full head of steam

Contrary to popular belief, I didn't get zapped into oblivion with one of my own ray guns. I have been knee deep in traveling and projects.  I must admit I allowed myself to get a bit overloaded on projects and had to spend some time getting caught up.  Paint work (murals) have been great and I certainly enjoy them, but I've been hungry to get some carving done!  The Shopbot has been calling to me for weeks and I just couldn't take it any more...
I thought it might be a fun project to make a "beer" sign with some steampunk funk.  I began with a base illustration/border from David Butler and am building up my own details and additions.  I'm still astonished at how quickly things carve.

Here is the background carved...about 30" square and 1" thick

Next up is some fun detail carved in 1/8" pvc.  It's not glued down yet..just placed to show it.  It will be pre-painted before assembly.


Next up is some of the lettering for the "Steam Punk Ale".  There is a plaque below that will say "Rise Above It All".  Below that will be a semi-3-Dimensional Person in a steampunk jetpack holding a brew while he flies....this will be sculpted.

I'll work on the sculpt...then begin adding greeblies and fun little narnies...A jetpack tank on either side of the sign, some dials and tubes...maybe some wiring and lighting.  It's going to be fun!  I can't wait to get some rivets and rust on this one.  It's a much needed warm up....



1 comment:

  1. Oooohhh I can't wait to see this beauty!!! I've been checking out a lot of steam punk books from the library and can only imagine what you're going to do with this one!
    Ryan

    ReplyDelete