Friday, August 24, 2012

Drill baby drill...

I managed to get the jetpack flyer mostly finished and primed today....

Next up, I worked out that I wanted some vacuum tubes mounted on the top of the shield of the sign.  Here's the challenge:Looking at the photo, you can see the top has lots of scroll like scallops...
If I just try to drill into that edge, the bit is going to have some real trouble....but thanks to some woodworking tricks, I know just what to do: First, I find the waste piece from when I had the cnc cut out this shape...i'm looking for the section that is the "reverse" of this scallop.  I'll cut out a small part of it and keep the back end flat and parallel to the scallop. It's no problem to drill a nice hole through the back part that is flat. I've drawn a straight line to help me guide the drill bit.
 Now I can clamp this single "scallop" to the edge of one of the scallops.
Now I'll use this clamped on piece to keep the drill bit in the right location and drilling the right way...I only drill just enough to create the beginning of the hole, then remove the guide.
Now I can drill the the proper depth without the guide since the hole is already begun...
In a very short amount of time, I've drilled all 10 holes on the top of the edge that will be needed to hold the vacuum tubes I'll be attaching....
Next up we'll begin painting this background piece with some wonderful rust!



No comments:

Post a Comment