Sunday, June 3, 2012

16 feet of fun.

I am a member of a group called "The Walldogs" and also a member of a forum called the "CSA" which stands for the Creative Signmakers of America (plus our friends from Canada, the U.K., Australia, New Zealand, etc.).  One of my friends called with a problem. They have a CarveWright cnc machine, but managed to sell several large signs that needed to be carved.  Two were double sided and 1' x 4'. Another was single sided but 30" x 12' and the last was 40" x 16' !!!  They brought the HDU and I proceeded to take a crash course in setting up the Shopbot for extra large signs.  It was actually very good practice and forced me to consider several things about carving things this large. It was a great learning experience.  I had to scale the design and in the case of the 12' and 16' versions break up the design into 2 elements..each being carved from 4' x 8' sheets.
In just a few hours the HDU (high density urethane) powder was flying and the machine was creating exactly what they needed.
Today I lined up all the pieces, and they fit perfectly together.  Now my friend and his wife can complete the priming and painting back at their shop. I'm excited for them to get here and see how they all turned out!  Nothing proves what a good idea it was to move up to the larger machine more than seeing these big signs all carved and ready to go.



1 comment: