Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Name Is The Game...

I had a sneaking suspicion back when I started my endeavor that "signs" wasn't going to encompass everything I'm doing.  I filled several pages with ideas for a name, but none seemed to stick.  Almost out of a desperation to get moving, I called it "Haffner Signs" and began my adventure.

Having had time to consider it, I am convinced that the name needs to be big enough to handle everything I want to do.  That's a tall order.  I procrastinated while trying to come up with something.  A visit from Dan Sawatzky last summer was the kick I needed. He said, "You know Haffner Signs isn't going to work don't you?" I said yes. He suggested that the drive to Wisconsin to paint murals with a group called the Walldogs would be a great time to come up with something. The right thing.  I agreed.

I brought my sketch book and started thinking. I needed a name that would tell the story of what I was doing...which is making these unique, fun, dimensional, and fantastic creations.  I wrote that down at the top of the page and then anything that popped into my mind below it.  The drive was long and I wrote down lots of ideas. Some were pretty good and others..well...let's just say that I entertained the name "Big Blue Carrot" and that should tell you enough.

I looked them over after a lunch stop in Sterling, Illinois and felt that none of them really hit it.  I looked at what I'd written at the top. My eyes stopped on the last two words...fantastic creations. In an instant I realized this was it.  Haffner's Fantastic Creations. Yup. Sounded right.

So now it's time to make the change.  The business cards are here. The website is in final countdown to launch and I need to get moving!

Let's build a sign!

I'll be using a much larger version of my "rocket" that I created last year, but the name itself needs to be made, and that's where we'll begin.  I've created a file with some outlines to give the lettering some depth and it's ready to carve!


3 comments:

  1. Jerry,
    You never know...someday someone may ask me to come up with something and my "Big Blue Carrot" may be just the ticket. Wouldn't it be great to sculpt a huge carrot?!

    ReplyDelete