Thursday, December 22, 2011

I’m altering the deal. Pray I don’t alter it any further

So I decided to pull a Darth Vader and "alter the deal" with regards to what I'd send for this Star Wars project. They were really only expecting the first poster- but I had bigger plans.  Why not do all 3 of the originals? Heck, why not do those and a couple other things, too? 

My feeling is that it is better to set realistic expectations for my clients and then try my very best to exceed them...whether it's a paid client or for a donated project. In the end, I'm happier having gone further than they expected, and they certainly are as well!  It's seems unfortunate that  many companies have lost sight of this simple idea. 

So- how to handle these other projects? Simple. Follow what I did for the first one. Design, Carve, Prime, Paint...repeat as needed!

In the early Empire poster, Vader is barely visible.  While I like it, I felt that if I was going to do a "dimensional" version of the poster, he'd need to be a little more prominent.  You can also see from the scan below that I decided to skip adding all the credits at the bottom of the poster. It's not that it couldn't be done, but I had to come up with ways to save some time and make these in the time available. I felt the primary image was the important part. 

I did some searching and found some good Vader photos. I'm certain an intelligent fan out there will catch whether or not this "version" of Vader is appropriate. Didn't know there were different ones? Shame on you. 

The vector was pretty easy....and with a more visible Vader, I was ready to carve. I wouldn't make him quite as visible as he is in this image, but it was really there to give the carving some dimension.
Here's how it looked in the carving application, all ready to go.

Once it was carved, it was time for prime, basecoats and some more airbrush and hand painting...



The logo was fun to do....I just did "brushed " coats of a metallic silver and nickel..and I think it turned out ok!

No comments:

Post a Comment