Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Hard Work and a Little Luck

     I've always liked drafting tables.  Owning one always seemed to say to me that the owner took drafting/drawing seriously.  They took it so seriously, in fact, that they had a special table for it.  I know now that you can (and should) draw wherever you find space and make time.  I still love the tables.
Combine that with an appreciation of old furniture and you'll understand why I was excited to find this table. 
     I have been helping with a project to turn an old school into a community center where I live and while looking through a narrow, low attic space, I caught a glimpse of this table hiding deep in the back.  The top had been removed and it had clearly been put there before some new walls went up. There was no way to get it out without taking it completely apart. 
     It was as if the table was saying "Hey, can you help me out? I'm kind of stuck back here."
     So I spent a couple hours in near darkness trying to finish taking it apart  before my flashlight went out.  I had to make multiple trips to get each piece out of the tight space.  I wasn't even sure if I had all the pieces.  As I loaded the car, it looked like a collection of dusty old wood and rusty metal bits. 
     With a little cleanup, some paint on the metal pieces, and a fresh couple coats of varnish it's ready for many more years of use.  The parts were all there, waiting for someone to care enough to put it all back together.  I did.
     It's already hard to imagine my shop without this piece.


No comments:

Post a Comment