Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Get A Leg Up...or 3.

Having had a chance to look at the robot full scale, I made some minor changes to the leg struts.  I've decided to alter them in a way that will retain the stability I want, but will look even better.  I'm happy with the result...and all it took was a few changes to the armature.
Having completed that, I have started in on some mounts that will surround the armature and provide additional detail.  I will be making several "rings" that will attach to the body and create a mounting point for the legs.
These rings are the bottom layer, followed by a thicker layer with a decorative bevel. Those were quickly glued together and allowed to dry for several hours.
Next I added some rivets, and created a two-piece "ring" that will complete the mounts.
These mounts were then attached to the body.  I had to keep the diameter of the leg armature in mind when I made them so they would fit over the "feet" and slide up the armature until they met the body.  It went off as planned and they were all attached to the body in very little time.
Now I'll be gin the "skin" for the legs. Beginning tomorrow, my little carving machine will be getting a workout. 

2 comments:

  1. Looking great Doug! Did you carve the bottom rings with the carving machine?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No- the bottom rings were done with a "sanding" blade on my scroll saw....I stacked them all up and made all the indents. It went quick. Right now my machine is hard at it on the sheathing for the legs...which is turning out well. I'll post pics tomorrow when they are done.

    ReplyDelete