Thursday, July 7, 2011

More Leg Please...

Lots of work completed today!
I began by planning how I'd cover the robot's legs.  I did some vector illustrations and then added some texture in photoshop.
I then pulled this design into my CarveWright Designer program and set my depth and tool selection.  CarveWright's designer program really makes this kind of work easy.
Once I was happy with the size and layout, I set up the carve to do 6 of these. 2 for each leg (front and back). I then put in some Azek material and let the machine do what it does best...carve.  I used that time to work on additional designs for the interior of the cockpit.
Once they were done, it was time to cut them out and route a channel on the back for the pipes that make up the legs. My router made quick work of doing all of these.

Next it was time to glue them up and see how they'll look.  Eventually, additional "pieces" will be added to give additional detail, but so far I'm happy with them!
Also, an important piece arrived today!  I've decided to use my robot project in conjunction with a contest being held by an online replica prop forum (movie props). The contest is to upgrade a raygun designed by the creative staff at WETA (They do special effects for movies like The Lord Of The Rings and make rayguns through their Dr. Grordbort product line).  My upgrade to the gun will include the addition of this robot!

No comments:

Post a Comment