Monday, January 27, 2014

Good weekend.

The weekend here was pretty cold, but it didn't stop me from completing some things. Any
chance I get to spend some time in the shop on the weekend is a treat.  It' nice to have
built a job that I enjoy so much that I want to work outside of normal hours.

First, a favor for a friend, Scott Lindley, who asked if I could carve a design of his
for a client.  In this rare case, I won't complete the paint and have simply provided primer so
Scott can paint it however he wants.





With pvc, you can cut some pretty intricate details. In this case, I wanted to make sure they stay in place, so I used both epoxy resin and some brad nails to keep them in place. The nail holes were covered with just a little Magic Sculpt, then primed.

Next I got some work done on the McCauley Farm sign.  I carved some of the pieces and got it all primed. It has much more to be added, including the tractor, which will be semi-dimensional.

My process is to coat everything with 2-3 coats of primer, and then at least 3 coats of paint.  With some of the glaze work, it may get much higher than that, but it ensures that it will hold up outside for many years.   Now it's time to get out some more Magic Sculpt and get to work on the tractor.




No comments:

Post a Comment