Thursday, June 20, 2013

Add A Little Color, Please.

In just a few weeks, I'll be joining the Walldogs in Kewanee, Illinois for the 20th anniversary.
We'll be painting a number of murals.  The local Historical Society asked me to come by and take a look at a mural a local artist painted 16 years ago.  David Washburn painted the mural with latex house paint, and based on a postcard created after it was done, the colors had virtually all disappeared.


I wouldn't normally work on a mural from another artist, but Mr. Washburn is no longer able to do the work, and he approved of the idea of bringing the color back.  I agreed to do the job, but insisted that I would only do it if we attempted to return the mural to the way it originally looked without additions or modifications.  The historical society agreed.

Shannon Ingles and I spent the last 3 days doing just that, based on the postcard...which wasn't always easy.  Many local residents stopped to tell us how pleased they were to see it return to full color.  Hopefully, with newer paint, it'll far outlast the original color.


No comments:

Post a Comment