Saturday, February 9, 2013

R2D2 It Is You!!!

The last couple of days have shot by in a blur.  I worked as quickly as possible to finish my little side project so that I could take it to a show near St. Louis with some other pieces of my work.  The bulk of the work on the dome began with: coating the foam with a couple coats of primer and then bondo. It was a bit like being "cake boss"

This was sanded (shhh...Dan...sometime I have to sand) and then spot filled, and then sanded again..and then primed

In the meantime, I also completed some work on other parts needed:

Azek pvc to the rescue!
Eventually, I moved to painting the dome, and then making sure everything was secure.  On friday morning, I took him outside for the first time to take a few pictures.  Isn't it amazing what some scrap pieces of HDU, wood, pvc and glue can become in such a short time? 
I had a couple minutes to look at him, then loaded him up to head to the show.  He was instantly a "photo opportunity" at our booth and led to much discussion about the other work I do. It was a great time and thanks to Jason Allen for inviting me.  Enjoyed meeting some new people and generally getting to talk shop.  I love my CarveWright and have quickly become a fan of ShopBot.  I'm just at the beginning of this journey, and feel very fortunate to have met so many great people in such a short time. 






No comments:

Post a Comment