Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Put One Foot In Front Of The Other...

Between a mural and preperations for a 3 sign project,  I had a chance to work on R2's feet. They are actually "shells" that will fit over a wooden frame that holds the wheels and all the weight of R2.  They were cut out of sheet pvc (Azek and a thinner product) then assembled.


It took a little spot filler and primer and now they can be painted.

Next, I took a 3D model of the pieces of the "ankle" that is just above the feet.  I found some 1 1/2" HDU scrap and started carving:


Once I carved the other side, and put them together...I could paint it and test fit it on the bottom of the leg.
It's coming together pretty well.

After a quick trip to the store, I found another needed item: Braided hose. You see, R2 has 4 braided wire hoses that run from his feet (2 on each) to some boxes on the inside of his legs.  I found 4 of them 16" long and I'll cut 2-3 inches off of each. I gave them a coat of a bronze paint to get them to the right color.


I have a few more small pieces to carve for the feet details, then I can start to assemble the lower body.  It's coming together quickly now!


No comments:

Post a Comment