Monday, November 26, 2012

Thanks

My family spent our Thanksgiving holiday in Hermann, Missouri.  We had a chance to see my in-laws and some family that we haven't seen for quite some time.  I have enjoyed going there since my wife and I began dating in the late 90's.  We were, in fact, married on the farm they own there.  Besides the amazing food and time getting to reconnect with extended family, my sister-in-law gave us a fantastic gift....we spent a night at the Hermann Hill Riverbluff cottages.  The suite was simply amazing.  When you have time take a look:  www.hermannhill.com

We stayed in the George Bayer Suite (room 103).  There is a hot tub outside, a Jacuzzi and crazy cool shower inside.  Multiple fireplaces and our own stocked kitchen made it feel like staying at a wonderful home instead of a rental cottage.  Hermann is a great little town, outside of St. Louis.  If you're in the area- I recommend you stay there. 

At my in-laws home, the decorating for Christmas was in full swing.  My wife, her sister and my daughter all worked to get things decorated. 

As I went downstairs to help bring up the tree- I looked over the fireplace mantle and had an instant flashback and immediately smiled.


Several years ago,  I lost the tip of the middle finger on my left hand in a table saw accident.  I think it might be more accurate to call it a Doug accident and the table saw happened to be involved.  I was trying to finish a doll house book case for our daughter and by ignoring all the safety recommendations that Norm Abrams ever explained on his show, I managed to end up minus one finger tip and some damage to the pointer finger as well.  I got back on the woodworking horse soon after and finished the doll house, but had some fear that the accident might impact my ability to do things.  Quite simply, I was scared.  I had been looking for ways to be creative and trying to make things, and I worried that this accident might impact my ability. 

My wife had promised to use an existing decoration of my mother-in-law's to create a new version...a winter scene instead of fall.  There would be some minor woodwork and then painting.  With Ashley at work and me at home recovering, I decided to give it a try myself.  I was right-handed anyway and thought there was no time like the present to see what I could and couldn't do.  I quickly found that I could manage quite well.  I proved to myself that there was no need to let a damaged hand limit or define me. 

After a few years, I don't think much about the accident or that I'm missing the finger tip.  It comes up sometimes in conversation as people notice it, but I no longer feel the sense of humiliation and frustration that came soon after the accident.  I've become more aware of the need for safety in the things I do, and I appreciate that I've been able to go much further than I hoped on the day I finished this winter scene.

 I am so fortunate to have a family of relatives, extended family, friends and neighbors...and my hand is now little more than a reminder to not take any of it for granted.  It makes it quite easy to look at my stubby middle finger and think "I am one of the luckiest people on the planet". 

No comments:

Post a Comment