Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Something Brewing

I have been working on a couple websites the last few weeks.  I enjoy the work, and the opportunity to do them has been appreciated, but I'll tell you a secret...I like to get my hands dirty.
When a local friend asked about doing a new sign for his business, I jumped at the chance.  I looked at the old sign and we talked about what he'd like to see from the new one.
We both agreed that re-painting the old one was a good idea. He'll put it in the shop, or find some other place to put it. Why throw away history?  It's not in horrible shape and with a little cleaning and some good paint, this will be a historical piece that will remind them of where they've been as well as where they are going.  It didn't take long for me to remove the posts and haul the old one to the shop.  I scrubbed and cleaned and now it has a fresh coat of primer on it. 


As my pal Dan once told me, "You never know where a sample piece will lead".  My recent "Steam Punk Ale" sign has me heading toward Kansas City in the morning.  An old friend is part owner in a brewery, pub, restaurant and bed and breakfast in Weston, Missouri. I'd sent him a photo of the sample and he suggested I come over to discuss some work.  The brewery is going strong and they offer 5 beers as well as some seasonal beers.  How could I refuse?  I visited there with my friend, Kyle, several years ago before the brewery was doing any bottling. It was a great adventure.  I'm looking forward to seeing what he's done with it.

I don't want to go empty handed, and I've put together a couple sketches of some ideas already, but I thought a little gift for the opportunity and my friend was in order.  This is just the base coat and one glaze, but before I leave it'll get a couple more glazes and the lettering work.  It's 14" x 14".


No comments:

Post a Comment