Monday, October 8, 2012

Home again home again....

I returned from my trip to the KC area just a couple of days ago.  I had a chance to enjoy the amazing craft beers at Weston Brewery, see an old friend (several, really!), and visit with a fellow sign maker.

The trip to Weston was fantastic.  I met with the owners (Corey and Mike) and talked about various projects that I can help bring to life.  Many are top secret, but the first is pretty fun. Customers sometimes need a helping hand in locating the business.  We discussed a mural assist...this is a mock-up of what it might look like.  If it gets approved by the city, this may begin in a few short days.  This is the end of the building that is the B&B across from the pub. 

I'm also talking with them about several other projects that would be great fun to design and create.  I look forward to sharing those in the future.  It was great to see Corey and his wife Andee again, and we talked about the old days and our time at KTVO Channel 3 in Kirksville, Mo.

The next evening was also special, as I had a chance to speak with another old friend from Kirksville.  Terry Blodget owned a t-shirt and sign shop there back in the 90's.  I spent a couple years working there part time while in college.  I helped out with the shirts and did some design work.  I also got to help with an early vinyl cutter...a big deal back in the late 80's and early 90's.  I had a lot of fun and always enjoyed my time with Terry.  When I began to think about what to do after my time at MultiAd, I thought quite a bit about those days.  Terry is in Kansas City, now, and it was great to catch up after all these years.

The last stop was in Godfrey, Illinois.  A fellow sign guy named Steve Luck has a fun shop there and keeps very busy.  He bought a cnc shopbot quite awhile ago, but had run into problems. He couldn't get it to carve and he was becoming discouraged.  I stayed over night and was able to work out the issues and within a very short time in the morning we had the machine carving up a storm.  I made Steve go through the process and had him design something, then send it to the machine to carve. I wanted to leave knowing he could begin from scratch and get his projects carved.  Once you understand the machine...it's really all about the design work on the computer.  His eyes lit up like it was Christmas.  He watched the machine do it's work and smiled from ear to ear.  He felt like he needed to do some practice and asked if I could take care of a project he'd had sitting for a long time.  He sent me home with some HDU, but I decided it would be great for him to watch it come alive.  I set up the file and saved it for him.  I emailed it and told him it was ready to carve....this morning he sent me this:


I know firsthand how exciting it is to see the design come to life on the machine.  I still experience it every time I make something. It was great to see that same look on his face, and to know that he will now go on to make his own magic.  I look forward to seeing what he does with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment