Monday, September 17, 2012

Food For Thought

Last year I painted a mural in Wyoming, Illinois.  I told the city that if they would cover the paint, I'd be happy to design and paint the mural. I wanted to do something for the community that we've been fortunate enough to call home for the last 4 years.  They signed off on the design and the mural went up during our 175th anniversary.  It was a great time.  I got to paint with friends and even got to watch the celebration parade from high up on the scaffolding.
I was very much touched and surprised that the city council eventually decided to give me something for the work.  I was happy to do it for the community and saw it as an investment.
During the time I was painting, I went into a new restaurant in town for lunch several times. Suzy's Place has great food and it was nice to sit across the street from the mural work and watch people stop by to check in on what I was doing.
When I completed the mural, Suzy came up to me during a lunch visit and handed me an envelope. She had taken up a collection with her customers when she heard I wasn't being paid and gave me what she'd collected. I tried to explain my intentions, but she was insistent that I should get some compensation. There was no way I could refuse such a kind gesture.  I accepted it with heartfelt thanks and decided that I'd find a way to return the favor.
This summer, I noticed that the only signage for Suzy's was some vinyl in her windows.  I decided that I would set aside a little time between some web site work I've been doing and make something for her.
I have a feeling that if I tried to meet with her to work out a design and colors, she'd be caught up in how much I was going to charge.  I decided that I'll go ahead and make it. If she doesn't like the colors I can always repaint. If she doesn't like the sign...well, that's ok too.  I know she'll appreciate the thought.  If she tries to pay me, I'll say the only thing I could possibly accept is lunch.

I'm about 2/3 of the way done...A border stroke needs to be added, and the "banner" on bottom needs to be painted and lettered. The pie and the lettering also needs paint.  It's coming along, though.  It'll be fun to get it completed and take it to her. While I'm there, I might even have a piece of pie...


No comments:

Post a Comment