Monday, April 23, 2012

The Right Tool for the Job

I'm having a great time learning about how to use the ShopBot and discovering what is going to be possible.  Having said that, I still find pleasure in the amazing things I can do with the CarveWright.  A project arrived that involves making a number of signs for a local farmer's home and various shops.  We discussed his needs and I realized that based on size and style, the CarveWright was really the best tool for the job. For pieces this size it's perfect.  The signs all fall into the range of between 9-12 inches wide and 18-22 inches long.
I found a piece of reference awhile ago for a sign shape I thought looked cool.

I really like the corner blocks, but felt they stuck out too far for this project.  These signs are a bit low to the ground and I don't want them to poke somebody coming or going from his shop.  So I vectored the shapes to my own liking, and created a lower relief for the corners.  Next I added some texture to the center by using an image of aged wood.  They were set up at various sizes and with all the needed text. I carved them in 1" Azek pvc and have no doubt they'll hold up to plenty of weather and abuse.  The material is strong and with the right preperation paints like a dream.  In fact, now that they have been carved and primed, next will come paint!  First is a base coat for the "wood". Now I can begin on designs for the rest of the signage.

Additionally, it's time to start thinking about sample pieces for my first ever CarveWright class!  I'll be making a variety of pieces to show what the machine can do and to explain some of my techniques with it.  I think it's going to be a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment