Saturday, March 17, 2012

Luck O' The Iris

I had planned to be elsewhere this weekend...in fact two sets of plans for it didn't work out.  Such is life. Plans fail.
I decided that instead of letting it bother me, I would do something I've been meaning to do for some time.  A group of people over on the "Shopbot" forum worked together and came up with a pretty cool plan for an opening "iris" like a camera.  The were kind enough to offer the files to anyone who wanted them.  As you might imagine, they've required a fair amount of modification in order to work on the CarveWright.  Sizes had to change...bit size too. I also had to modify certain shapes but only in so much as to have the final piece come out like the original.  It was not quite a 1:1 transfer. No matter...the pieces for version one came out great! This little machine continues to amaze me.  In this case, I decided to use an importer for the CarveWright called the "DXF importer".  I suppose the easiest way to explain is to say it takes a set of lines and creates carving paths. It also does some other cool stuff, too...but for now I'll stick to the path cutting.
As you know by now, dear reader...I like me some gears.  When they can move and do something? Oh yeah, that's good.
Some of the holes in version one need tweaking, and I need to adjust some spacing as well, but I think a working unit is very much in sight.
Why? Because I wanted to do something fun that would teach me some new tricks.  I wanted to focus on my skills for an upcoming class on CarveWright I'll be teaching and I just plain thought the thing was cool.
I'll route up version 2 and soon the bolts will be in place and with a little Irish luck it'll be time to turn the wheel...can't wait. Happy St. Patrick's Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment