Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Doug, you have a meeting downstairs...

Two years ago, I was drinking a cup of coffee and discussing Valentine's day with a co-worker.  I was the Senior Vice President of IT for a marketing services company in Illinois.  I'd started at the company in 1997 as manager of Creative Services and had held several different positions in the company over the years.  I had a great time.  We were doing exciting work on advertising for major clients and building interactive cd's and eventually full blown business websites.  I had the good fortune to be working alongside some very talented and hard working people.  There was a certain electricity from working on the large projects and we knew that our solutions were unique.
Eventually the employee owned company was sold to a private equity firm.  Those of you with experience are probably already thinking "Oh no." It's a story that frequently ends poorly.  The company was saddled with the debt of the purchase and we were suddenly facing a sinking economy.  It was a bad mix.  Within six months we were cutting budgets, letting good people go and recognizing that promises from private equity firms are like promises from politicians (How's the 401k matching increase looking these days boys?).
Solutions were offered, but they required some innovation and risk and there would also be some cost. Say "innovation, risk, and some cost" to an accountant or an investment firm and you'll quickly figure out what happened: nothing.
I didn't like my job those last two years.  In fact, I dreaded the thought of going there.  I knew we had it in us to do great things, but we were putting our efforts toward things that wouldn't make a difference.  There was no vision or passion for where to go next. You see, a plan is not a Vision.  We had a plan.  The plan was pretty much like handing out Dixie cups on a sinking cruise ship and saying "bail".
So there I was drinking that coffee, when our Human Resources manager came in to let me know I had a meeting downstairs.  It took me a second to digest what she meant.  I didn't have a meeting planned. Ah, it was "THAT" kind of meeting. 
20 minutes later I was packing boxes, saying goodbye to decade old friends and wondering why I felt so relieved. Why did I feel so good?
I felt good because I was suddenly free.  There was nobody else to "downsize" and I didn't have to attend any more of the endless, pointless, agenda-free,  no time limit meetings that had become the norm.

What would I do?  I didn't know at first.  The drive home started with me thinking "Ok, time to pull out the resume and figure out where to apply".  Then it hit me. "Wait. Why replicate what you just left?"  I knew that I had a passion for creating things. I enjoyed solving problems and being creative.  I didn't have a Vision at this point, but I knew that the most important decision had already happened. I wanted something different. I wanted to use everything I'd learned about being creative and managing a business and make my own decisions.  Something told me I needed to update and clean up my workshop..the resume could wait, because I'd just hired myself.

2 years later and I'm in my workshop, drinking another cup of coffee and looking over some quotes for wild and fun projects.  I've built rockets and robots and ray guns.  I've sculpted, painted, carved and dreamed this business into reality and it's just getting started! I can't wait to get going in the morning, and I learn more each day.  I  see much more of my wife and I've spent 2 summers with my daughter that I would never have otherwise.  The business is only a part of the plan. My Vision is clear.  It's an easy one: Live life well.


 Stay tuned...







5 comments:

  1. Just think where they'd be today if they would've let me (this is Steve Mills, BTW) implement the snowflake tool.

    Glad you're (and I'm) at a happier place now. See? Gluing together plastic models as a kid is NOT a waste of time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, I've often said that the failure to really appreciate and exploit the potential of the Creator software was maybe the biggest downfall of the company. We understood what we had about as well as Ralph understood his suit on The Greatest American Hero. I'm really happy you've landed in a better situation...and I dearly hope the same happens for all the other people I still know there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...did you hit the nail on the head Doug. I too had a sense of dread going in to work the last year or so of my 25 at the company. The atmosphere became one that was stifling instead of creative. When you go to work and see so much creative talent not being utilized, and so many ideas squashed without any real consideration. On top of the fact that it seems monthly they were letting good people go, it was a bit disheartening! I have been following you on here and I am so happy for you and your success! You have amazing vision and unbelievable talent. Sometimes what seems to be the worst thing that could happen to you, ends up being the best! Keep up the excellent work and keep posting those pictures, I love seeing your creations! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Doug! I was there with Lisa on that fateful day and made my way out the door. lol!...Yeah, your observations are correct. I tested my own replacement, but the numbers don't lie. Glad you found a happy place.

    I saw that you have your seminar coming in May and I was going to join you when I realized I have a scout camping weekend with my boys. I can't wait to get back out in my shop and start working again this year. I've been looking at the CarveWright again. Really want to see what this this can do right out of the box! Hope the first seminar goes well, cause I'd really like to get to the next one.

    ReplyDelete