Tuesday, December 6, 2011

I have three of these that I get to do- and it's a tight turnaround. I think it's fair to say that I have a couple late evenings ahead in order to make this happen...but no worries. I couldn't be happier than to get a chance to do some Star Wars art!
The first movie poster is certainly well known. The Hildebrant brothers were already known for some Lord Of The Rings calendar art, but this poster in 1977 put them on the map and into history.  It still stands as one of the most recognized posters in the world.
How to begin?  I decided to vector the key images from the poster and those layers will then be carved at varying depths.  These layers will act as guidelines as I go in and sculpt the finer details.
Here are the vectors all drawn in over one another.
Next was to decide which layers are deeper in the image that I will be converting to something with more dimension.  Even at this early stage, there's no mistaking which poster this is. Just a few shapes define the image and prove what an impact great design can have.

Now I import the image into my carving application...where I've added the dome for the deathstar.  This will be the "base" for my sculpting and painting.  I plan to carve it in "Azek" pvc.  I have the Star Wars music playing in the shop and I'm itching to carve...but first I have to add the "Star Wars" title itself!

No comments:

Post a Comment