Tuesday, October 4, 2011

One.

A very good friend of mine spent many summers doing murals all over the U.S. and Canada.  He's completed well over a hundred murals during his career.  I have had the opportunity to paint on one of his projects and have become a member of the "Walldogs" in the last couple years.  In a short period of time, I've had the great fortune to help paint a half dozen or so murals.  Each was a different style and had it's own set of challenges.
Today I completed the first mural of my own.  I wanted to give something to the community where I live and show that community service comes in many forms.
The city came up with the funds for the paint, and other materials and I did the rest.
I even got to run the firetruck in our town to power wash the building long before we began painting!
I designed the mural, primed the wall and on a brisk morning near the end of September I started.
In just a few days I met literally hundreds of people I hadn't yet met in our town.  I laughed, joked and generally explained what I was doing to anyone who wanted to know.
I received a pie from one person who just wanted to say thanks for the work!
Best of all, I had a young girl from town ask to help paint. She's getting ready for eighth grade and likes to draw and paint.  She was willing to do anything I asked- from sweeping to painting the wall around the mural.  I let her put in the bottom corner border decorations (that's where Dan started me!) and she did great. 
I lost count of how many people stopped to say thanks and tell me how thrilled they were with the wall.  It was a reward in itself that I'll never forget no matter how many murals I paint. In the meantime, this is number one.

3 comments:

  1. Great stuff Doug! I look forward to seeing many, many more!

    -grampa dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also want to point out that my good buddy Cornbread came over and did that awesome Duryea car! Thanks Cornbread!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific, Doug! I had meant to come back to see the finished product but then got distracted and never did. Your post today with the mural in the magazine reminded me and now I'm happy to see how great it turned out! You do good work no matter what you are doing. Congratulations on yet another beautiful accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete