Monday, June 20, 2011

It's a lock for sure...

There's nothing like getting some paint on a project to give you that final bit of satisfaction.  This lock and key is no exception.  I put a base layer of brass on it, followed by a glaze slightly darker....
Next came additional layers of glaze...each darker than the last.
Eventually, after about 3 layers of dark glaze...I put in a nickel colored highlight layer and then went back and added back in some brass highlights as well. I'm pleased as punch with my reproduction of this antique padlock. I love that old metal feel and had a great time coming up with a formula to match the one I found....first is the picture I found online...with two keys...the last two pictures are of mine...


1 comment:

  1. Outstanding paint work on this piece Doug. Interesting though...on Facebook it looks more of a silver/steal look while on here you can see the brassy/nickel look...beautiful stuff my friend!
    Ryan

    ReplyDelete