Sunday, July 28, 2013

A little bit each day and a lot.

This weekend has been a great deal of fun.  I had to "cowboy up" and start carving the Rhino 2-sided sign. I finished the one for the wall a while ago and now it was time to ensure all the measurements were correct and go for it.  My mild fear came from the fact that a 2" sheet of 30lb. HDU is really expensive.  Any screw up would be very very expensive for me.  I'd test cut some pvc, and even a full version in pink foam. It simply was time to get going and prove I'd done all the homework properly.

I put the first piece on and started it up:

Things went well.  In order to get to the correct shape, there were many toolpaths and several bit changes.  It took many hours to get them both completed, but the result was worth it:

Now here's the thing.  The carves are two sided for both pieces.  The client brought a 1/4" piece of steel that had been pre-cut to fit in the center. There are tabs that will be connected to chains which will hold the sign in it's diamond shape.  It's a pretty cool piece, but I'll be honest...the holes weren't 100% in terms of being equally spaced. Not a big deal, but it added a bit of adjustment on the cut files.  A pocket was cut on the back of each piece, and a space for the tabs.

In the end- they came out great and fit with the steel like a glove.

It will be pretty heavy when completed!  I wouldn't want to be the kid who decides to give it a kick, I'll tell you that!
Now it's on to primer and paint...and I love that part the most!

Additionally, while all this carving was going on- I began some paint work on the fish for my mechanical fish institute sample...a little bit each day will get it done!





1 comment:

  1. Looking at your work has given me great pleasure, I especially enjoyed your 17th century portraits and toiles and your exhibition in that beautiful setting made my heart flip, it was magical,I would so like to have seen it in situ.


    rangement garage

    ReplyDelete