Monday, February 4, 2013

Footloose...footloose

I made some good progress over the weekend.
I created a piece that R2D2 fans call his "skirt" on the bottom of the body.  In this picture I have his body turned up side down in order to put the piece in place.



I also worked on a couple other parts that go near the feet called the "battery boxes". I still need to put skin on them, but the structure is complete. Here it is next to the foot shell...the battery box is on the left.  The open hole on the bottom will be covered and have two holes for the hoses to enter from the feet.






Lastly, I had to make the internal portion of the foot that holds the wheels, and all of the weight of the little fella.  This was made from a multi-layer plywood for strength.  Aluminum would have been great, but I'm keeping the cost reasonable on this little guy, so wood it is.  I put the foot shell next to it, just so you could get an idea of how that fits.




I need to pick up a couple bolts that are the right size to connect the foot to the leg permanently, then I can add the shells and put it all together once I have the skin on the battery boxes.  Sometime tomorrow I hope to be able to show the whole thing minus the dome on top! It's exciting to see it come all together!




No comments:

Post a Comment