Tuesday, October 15, 2013

It's been a busy month... I finished signs for local friends:




I also began moving into the new shop location and doing some painting:

Before:
And some new paint and other items...a place to meet clients:

There's a great deal more to move once I get home..but I'll be on a return trip to Yarrow, British Columbia very soon.  About 3 years ago, I took a leap.  It happened after seeing a website and some work from a man named Dan Sawatzky.  I impulsively signed up for his workshop because it felt like I needed to do it.  I followed my gut.  I attended a workshop there and it literally changed my life. Dan suggested it would the day I called and he was absolutely correct.  The trip out there was by car and included my family and our pop-up camper.  The trip itself was special and we still talk about it.  The destination, in this case, took it up a notch.  I started a new path and have enjoyed each step on the new road.  I remember during a late night of dreaming and talking, he said, "You'll eventually have a larger shop and bigger equipment...just remember that the most important item in it will still be what you DO with it."  It's been fast moving and I've had the very good fortune to meet many wonderful people and clients.  Dan has continued to play a role with advice, some friendly pushing and a growing friendship. 

I'm attending a sculpture workshop at Imagination Corporation. http://imaginationcorporation.squarespace.com/

During my visit I'll meet some new friends, cram as much new knowledge as I can into my head, do some hands-on learning, refresh some older ideas and hang out with the second place winner of the Mechanical Fish Competition.  I'll be able to get some close-up views of projects from the last couple of years and maybe a look or two at new things in the works.  While all of that is fantastic, it's really about making an ongoing investment in myself.  Some people think of a vacation as a thing you do where you plan to take it easy and take a little rest.  For me, it'll be getting my hands and  clothes dirty and finding new ways to bring new ideas to life.  I already have an expectation and it's several days of awesome.  Every new trip is an adventure waiting to happen, and new friends are always the icing on the cake.






No comments:

Post a Comment